Thursday, April 18, 2013

More Pigeons!!!

We arrived here in Capannori to find that none of pigeon prevention measures we set up  on our balcony last fall were effective. In fact, the problem is worse than ever. It isn't just us. There are simply more pigeons. I think part of the problem is that chickens are now being kept in one of the gardens behind us. Every time I look down there I see pigeons noshing on the chicken food!

After we arrived with Peter I cleaned the laundry area so we could use the washing machine. The really serious attack was deferred until we returned. The day after we got back from Amsterdam we submitted our Permessi di Soggiorno renewals. The following day I had no further excuses so I put on old clothes and rubber boots and commenced the dis-infestation.

 This is the top of the beam that runs across the middle of our balcony. On the left end a nest had been built and there was a very young chick in it. This was in spite of numerous spike strips glued up there. As part of the eviction process I was forced to drown the little chick with the hose and push him off onto the floor. :-(

When we first arrived there was also a fledgling wandering around. Lucky for it we went to Amsterdam because when we returned it was flying and could be shooed away.  There were also three eggs laid in a nest in one of the planters while we were gone. 

 You can see four birds in this picture. The most I ever counted out there at one time was nine.

 The mess was really gross and disgusting. I could tell you about the inches of bird droppings caked in the corners and behind the planters but I won't.

 This was an attempt to photograph the eggs in the planter box but you can just barely see the white of one of them. They went into the garbage along with everything else.

Here is a picture of the patio after the great cleansing. The big eye in the sky is supposed to scare birds away. Dom thinks they made it their "god" instead. It certainly isn't a deterrent.

Now that we are here it is less of a problem. I keep scaring the pigeons off every time they show up. Still they keep landing on the beam and they again started to build a nest in one of the planters.

We have formulated a grand plan to screen off the balcony which is what several of our neighbors have done. If we do that I will finally be able to use the area for drying clothes instead of the guest bedroom.

The weather has been great this week--mid 70s and sunny. This afternoon I finally pulled the folding lounge chair out from under our bed and set it up on the balcony. It was nice sitting out there and reading. Luckily I had cleaned the balcony again beforehand because unexpectedly a real estate agent brought some people to see the apartment. The whole place was in pretty good shape and they seemed to like it. Nonetheless I am not holding my breath waiting for an offer.

The next post will be about recent excursions we have made.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape